Why do I need insurance to store my items?
The safety and security of your belongings whilst in our storage facilities is of utmost importance to us. However, in the unlikely event, such as a fire or flood, that your items are damaged while storing with us, we require all customers to hold adequate insurance for their entire stay.
All customers can accept insurance protection under our insurance policy or arrange their own coverage if it’s of a similar standard to ours and covers goods stored in a self-storage facility. You will be required to provide documentation to support this. But, again, this is an industry standard, and most reputable storage companies will require insurance.
Why doesn’t my self storage quote include insurance?
The cost and coverage of insurance can vary depending on the replacement value* of the items and the length of stay. Therefore, providing insurance as a mandatory add-on rather than including it in the quoted price is more practical. This will differ from customer to customer and allows customers to tailor their insurance coverage to their specific needs.
It's important to note that while insurance may be an additional expense, it can provide valuable protection for your belongings in case of theft, damage, or other unexpected events.
What can’t you store in a self storage unit
Certain items cannot be stored in our self-storage units for safety, legal, or practical reasons. Some examples include:
- Hazardous materials: Items that are flammable, explosive, corrosive, or toxic cannot be stored in our self storage units. This includes gasoline, propane tanks, fireworks, and chemicals.
- Perishable items: Items that can spoil, rot, or attract pests cannot be stored in our self storage units. This includes food, plants, and animals.
- Illegal items: Items that are illegal to possess or distribute cannot be stored in our self storage units. This includes stolen goods, illegal drugs, and weapons.
- People: Self storage units are not meant for habitation and cannot be used as living spaces. Living in a self-storage unit is not legal, and doing so could be dangerous and result in serious health and safety risks.
- Vehicles (including motorcycles): We do not allow the storage of vehicles inside our buildings, such as cars or boats. However, many of our stores have secure outdoor parking available to rent
It is important to carefully read the terms and conditions of our self storage agreement before renting a unit to ensure that you are not violating any rules.
Get a storage quote near you
Find a store by entering a postcode, city or town below
Need to chat to one of our space specialists? No problem.
Please fill in some details and we'll call you shortly
Got questions or need assistance? Speak to one of our business specialists